Freelance Writing and Editing
- I have experience writing and editing for more than 30 publications, including scientific journals, online literary journals, trade magazines, consumer magazines, newspapers, Internet news sources, newsletters, niche publications, and books. You can find out more about these projects in the publications section of this website.
Public Relations and Marketing Consultation
- Along with my general writing and editing experience, I have more than a decade of experience in public relations and marketing, having worked in the realms of eco-tourism, food production, food co-op marketing and outreach, health, higher education, and other non-profits.
- I am adept at navigating the world of public outreach and opinion and am skilled in using social media and Internet marketing platforms.
- Being aware of marketing and public relations industry trends is important to me, and so I have found great value in relationships with the Public Relations Society of America and the Council for Advancement and Support of Education.
- M.A., University of Wisconsin – Superior, Communicating Arts, Speech Communication (Core) and Mass Communication (Cognate), May 2010
- B.A., Macalester College, English (Creative Writing) and Environmental Studies (Biology), 2000. Phi Beta Kappa, Magna Cum Laude.
- Music has been a part of my life for the past 30 years. I teach piano lessons and have volunteered and worked as a pianist, organist, and cantor. I’ve played the guitar and bass guitar in a number of musical ensembles, and I recorded a CD in 2004 of original songwriting.
- Community is important to me and so I give of my time as I am able.
- When I’m not gardening, playing some sort of musical instrument, or reading, you’ll most likely find me walking, running, biking, hiking, boating, or skiing.
- State Bar of Wisconsin Golden Gavel Certificate of Commendation Award (2012) for a three-part series about the Ashland County juvenile drug court program. The judging committee for the Golden Gavel Awards is composed of lawyers, judges, educators, and media representatives. Winning entries are chosen based on informational value and educational merit, creativity, thoroughness, reportorial and technical skill, and impact.
- Rotary Foundation International Group Study Exchange Award Recipient for Travel to Lithuania (2005)
- Wisconsin Newspaper Association Award – Team Investigation of Railroad Use in Ashland, Wis. (2004)
- Wisconsin Newspaper Association Award – Sports Photography (2004)
- Inland Press Association Award – Personality Profile, “Blessed by the Gypsies” (2004)
- Inland Press Association Award – Explanatory Reporting Series, “Way of the Wolf” (2003)
- Institute for Journalism and Natural Resources Protégé (2003)
- Institute for Journalism and Natural Resources Fellow, Great Waters Institute (2003)
- Macalester College Environmental Studies Senior Award (2000)
- Macalester College English Department Bennett Cerf and F. Earl Ward Endowed Prizes (1999, 2000)
More detailed resume information is available at LinkedIn.